North indian, Mains
1. In a kadai, heat 75 ml oil and 25 ml ghee.
2. Add all the sabut masalas namely 1 star anise, 2 bay leaves, 4 cloves, 1 stone flower and 1 inch cinnamon. fry for a minute.
3. Then add 2 thinly sliced onions and fry till they turn pink.
4. Next add 1.5 tbsp red chilli powder, 1.5 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp garam masala powder and salt to taste.
5. Add the water (1 litre) almost double the quantity of the rice. also add little ghee immediately and bring it to a boil.
6. Once water boils, add 1/2 kg rice which has been washed and soaked for at least 30 minutes. let it cook for 18 minutes on medium to high flame.