North indian, Mains
1. De-stem 8-10 small baingans, make an incision in the middle from the stalk to the base without cutting through. make another slit to divide it into quarters.
2. In another bowl, add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp amchur / dry mango powder, 2 tsp tata sampann garam masala powder and mix well.
3. Stuff the prepared mixture into the baingans and set aside. reserve the extra mixture.
4. Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil in a non-stick pan, reduce the heat and add the baingans , shallow fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. take them off the heat and set aside.
5. In the same pan, add 2 medium grated onions, 1/4 tsp asafoetida / hing and a little water. sauté well on medium heat till the onions turn golden brown.
6. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 6-7 chopped cloves of garlic and sauté for a minute. add 1 cup fresh tomato puree and mix well. cover and cook till the oil separates.
7. Add the reserved spice mixture and spread the shallow fried baingans, sprinkle salt, break 1 green chilli, cover and cook for 10 minutes. take it off the heat.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander, break and add the chilli. serve hot.