Bardoli Ki Khichdi
Viraj Naik Recipes
1. Soak 3/4 cup rice, 1/4 cup toor dal / split pigeon peas, 1/4 cup moong chilka dal / split green gram, 1/4 cup moong dhuli dal / yellow split gram in water for 2 hours.
2. In a bowl, chop all vegetables and keep aside. add 1/2 cup chopped bottle gourd / lauki, 2-3 medium size chopped brinjals, 1/2 cup chopped carrots, 1 medium size chopped potato, 1/2 cup green peas, 1 medium size chopped tomato.
3. In a kadai, add 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil. once it is hot, add 2 bay leaves, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 green cardamom, 7-10 curry leaves, 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida, 15-20 raw peanuts, 2 chopped green chillies. saute for a minute.
4. Add all the chopped vegetables. stir and cook for 2 minutes. then add 1.5 inch grated ginger, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp green chilli paste. mix well.
5. Now add the soaked dal and rice, salt to taste. give it a mix.
6. Now add 3 cups water. let it cook for few minutes. once water reduces, add 2 more cups of water. (the 2 cups of water added later should be hot water). cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl, add 1 tsp grated coconut. (optional)
Tadka / tempering
8. In a pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil. add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 5-7 curry leaves, 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida, 2-3 dry red chillies. mix well.
9. Pour this tadka / tempering on the cooked khichdi.
10. Bardoli khichdi is ready to serve.
This is a no onion – no garlic recipe.