North indian, Mains
1. Make incisions on 3 eggplants with a small knife and stuff in the cavity with 10-12 garlic cloves and 2-3 green chillies. apply mustard oil all over the eggplant.
2. Now roast the eggplant over an open flame keeping the flame low, char them until they are soft, turn and flip the sides in regular interval.
3. Now, carefully remove the skin, and roughly chop the roasted eggplants along with green chillies and garlic cloves.
4. Now, set a pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp chopped ginger, lightly cook the ginger for 1-2 minutes. further add 2-3 medium sized chopped onions, and cook them on medium high flame until they start to get some colour.
5. Add 2-3 medium sized chopped tomatoes and salt to taste. cook the tomatoes until they are soft and mushy.
6. Further, add 3/4 cup green peas and powdered spices namely a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp red chilli powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder. stir and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
7. Now add the cooked and chopped eggplant. stir well and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
8. Baingan ka bharta is done. you can eat it at this stage as well, but for that distinct flavour cook it for few more minutes. cover and cook for 10 minutes, do stir in regular intervals.
9. Baingan ka bharta is ready, check for the seasoning and finish it with some freshly chopped coriander leaves. serve hot with roti or paratha of your choice.