Badam Ka Halwa
1. Soak 1.5 cups california almonds in water overnight. next day, peel them and keep aside.
2. Put the peeled california almonds in an electric chopper and chop to a coarse mixture.
3. Heat 1/2 cup ghee in a non-stick pan. add 1/3 cup sooji / rava / semolina and roast till light golden and fragrant.
4. Add the almond mixture and mix well. roast till the mixture turns light golden and fragrant.
5. Add 1 cup water and mix well. add a large pinch of saffron and mix.
4. Add 1 cup milk, mix and cook till the mixture thickens. add ½ cup water, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add 1.25 cups castor sugar, mix and cook till the sugar melts and the mixture thickens. stirring occasionally.
6. Drizzle 2 tbsp ghee on the sides of the pan, mix and take the pan off the heat.
7. Transfer the badam ka halwa in a serving bowl. serve hot garnished with slivered california almonds.