South indian, Snacks
1. Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 1½ cups thick poha / aval / flattened rice. use thick poha else just rinse the poha if it is of medium thickness.
2. Pour water and soak for 2 minutes or until it softens. drain off the water, make sure the poha doesn’t turn mushy.
3. Add 1 tsp sugar and ¾ tsp salt on soaked poha and mix gently.
4. In a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and roast 2 tbsp peanuts on low flame. roast until the peanuts turn crunchy. keep aside.
5. In the same oil, splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of hing / asafoetida and few curry leaves.
6. Further add 1 finely chopped onion, 2 finely chopped green chillies. saute until onions shrink slightly without browning.
7. Further, add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and saute well.
8. Add in the soaked poha and mix gently until everything is combined well.
9. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
10. Also add 2 tbsp finely chopped coconut, 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves and 2 tsp lemon juice. mix gently.
11. Finally, enjoy kanda poha topped with some sev.