I smell the sweet, spiced treat.
I can hear the timer ring.
That says it’s time to eat.
I can feel the steam, so warm,
Rising in the air.
I can taste the juicy filling.
Would you like to share
By Jessica McDonald
We have grown up with various nursery rhymes and story books like Annie the Apple Pie Fairy….So here is my contribution, inspired by it and with apples. Just love apple pie! It’s a fav in our house.
1. Make the pie crust by adding 3 cups flour, 1/4 tsp instant yeast, 1.25 tsp salt and 400 ml water.
2. Preheat oven to 425˚f.
3. Melt 5 tbsp butter in a pan and add 2 tbsp flour whisking constantly.
4. Whisk in 2 tbsp water, 2/3 cup granulated sugar and bring to a boil. simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add 4-5 cored, peeled and sliced apples in a large bowl. sprinkle the top with 1 tsp cinnamon and toss to combine. pour the sauce over the apples and stir to coat the apple slices.
6. Take half the pie crust and roll it out. transfer to a 7” pie dish.
7. Add apple mixture to it. roll second crust and cut into strips and arrange strips on top of the apple mixture.
8. Beat together 1 egg and 1 tbsp water and brush the top with egg mixture.
9. Bake at 200°c for 15 minutes. reduce the heat to 170°c and continue baking for another 45 minutes or until apples are soft. enjoy!!!