Vahchef- VahReh Vah
1. Dry roast 1 cup of besan / chickpea flour in a pan on slow flame and cook for few minutes till you get a nice flavor from the flour.
2. Add 1 tsp rice flour and toss well. switch off the flame and keep aside.
3. To this flour mixture, add 1 tsp oil, pinch of hing / asafoetida, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 2 tbsp roasted peanut powder, 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds powder, 1 tbsp freshly ground coconut paste and 1 tbsp powdered jaggery. mix all these ingredients.
4. Add salt to taste, 2 tbsp tamarind juice and water as needed to make to a thick paste. place 1 taro root leaf upside down on a flat surface, and thinly coat the leaf with the prepared besan mixture. then place another leaf over it and again coat the leaf with besan mixture. repeat this with at least 5 to 6 leaves.
If they are very big leaves, then 3-4 are sufficient. fold half of the leaf on both sides and roll them gently similar to an egg roll.
5. Steam cooks the rolls in an idly stand / pressure cooker. steam cook for around 15 minutes without putting the whistle on the cooker. after 15 minutes, remove and allow them to cool. cut them into thin slices and keep aside.
6. Heat oil in kadai and when the oil gets hot; deep fry the steam aloo vadis until they become crisp and brown.