North indian, Mains
1. Take a pan and dry roast 1 tsp nigella seeds / kalonji, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp methi / fenugreek seeds, 2 dried red chillies on low heat for 3-4 minutes. take it out on a plate to cool and then grind it to a powder.
2. Marinate 500 gms chicken cut into curry pieces with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste, the above ground masala powder, and 4 tbsp whisked curd. mix and set aside to marinate for 60 minutes.
3. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadhai or pan. add 3/4 tsp mustard seeds and when it splutters, add 3 green chillies cut in 1/2 inch pieces. give it a stir and add 2 medium size chopped onions. fry on medium heat for 8 minutes till slightly brown.
4. Now add 2 medium size chopped tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes. add 1/4 tsp salt and continue to cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes till the tomatoes are soft and oil separates.
5. Next add the marinated chicken, mix well and bhunno/fry on medium heat for 5 minutes.
6. Add 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, mix well and fry on medium heat for 3 minutes. reduce the heat to low and continue to fry for another 2 minutes till oil separates.
7. Add 150 ml water. give it a good stir. cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
8. Remove lid, mix in 1 tbsp ginger juliennes and simmer for around 2 minutes till oil separates. serve with rice or roti.