North indian, Mains
Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana
1. Heat 2 tbsps oil in a non-stick pan.
2. Remove the stem of white baingan and cut into 2 inch thick strips. transfer into a bowl, sprinkle 1/2 tsp tata sampann turmeric powder and toss well.
3. Add the brinjals in the hot oil and toss well, cook till they turn golden brown. drain the brinjal strips into the same bowl.
4. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same pan,
5. Combine together 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi daana, 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds, a pinch ajwain / carom seeds, 1 tsp onion seeds in a small bowl and add into the hot oil and let the seeds splutter. break 2 dried red chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
6. Add 1 tsp each of grated ginger and grated garlic and sauté well. add 1 large chopped onion, mix and cook till they turn golden brown.
7. Add remaining 1/4 tsp tata sampann turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add 1 medium chopped tomato, salt to taste. mix, cover and cook for 5 minutes or till the tomato turns soft and pulpy.
9. Add cooked brinjal strips, some chopped coriander leaves, 1/2 tsp amchur / dry mango powder and mix well.
10. Adjust salt, mix and cook for a minute. take the pan off the heat, transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot with paranthe.