1. Peel the hog plum and cut into 4 pieces lengthwise and wash properly.
2. Make a smooth paste with poppy seeds and water.
3. In a heavy bottomed wok, add mustard oil.
4. Add the temper, bay leaves, dry red chilli, black mustard, panch foran and give a quick stir till a nice aroma comes out.
5. Add the hog plums and cook on low flame.
6. Add the salt and turmeric powder and cook till half cooked.
7. Add the poppy seeds paste, sugar and add some warm water and cook in low flame till properly cooked.
8. Serve with hot steamed rice.