1. For the pastry, place the flour in a bowl and rub in the ghee with your fingertips. add sufficient water and knead into stiff dough. cover with a damp cloth and rest the dough for a while.
2. For the syrup, cook the sugar with half a cup of water in a non-stick pan, stirring continuously till the sugar dissolves.
3. Add the milk, collect the scum which rises to the surface with a ladle, and discard.
4. Cook the syrup till it attains a one string consistency. remove from heat and keep warm.
5. For the filling, mix together the khoya, nuts, powdered sugar, cardamom powder and saffron. divide the mixture into 12 equal portions.
6. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. roll out each portion into a 5 inch round puri.
7. Place one portion of the filling in the centre of the puri, fold in the sides to overlap each other and seal the ends with a little water. secure with all the ends.
8. Heat sufficient ghee in a non-stick kadai and deep fry the lavang latika till golden brown. drain on an absorbent paper.
9. Soak the lavang latika in the warm sugar syrup for 3 to 4 minutes. drain and serve warm.