1. Soak 1 cup black gram in water for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon mustard oil in a pressure cooker. then add 2 bay leaves, 3 to 4 dried red chilies, half teaspoon cumin seeds. let them splutter.
3. Then add 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste. cook till the rawness of ginger garlic goes away.
4. Then add 2 chopped onions. sauté them till they turn translucent.
5. Add salt to taste, half teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon kitchen king masala, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder. sauté on low flame for a minute.
6. Then add 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder and 1/4 cup water and stir it well. cover the lid of the cooker and cook it for two whistles to ensure onions become soft.
7. Further add the soaked chana and give it a stir. add half teaspoon garam masala powder. now add 500 ml water. cover the lid and cook for about 4 to 5 whistles.
8. In case you are making a chana ghugni in a kadai, make sure to pressure cook the soaked chana before adding them in the kadai.
9. Let the pressure of the cooker release naturally. chana ghugni is ready to be served.
How to serve
10. In a plate add some flattened rice/poha. on top of it add the chana ghugni and serve.