1. In a pan over low heat, add 4 tbsp olive oil and onions. cook until onions are translucent and soft.
2. While onions are softening, add water to a sauce pan over medium-low heat. add tomato paste. stir with a ladle and bring to a simmer.
3. Once onions have softened a bit, add grated garlic.
4. Once tomato water is simmering, turn the heat down to low.
5. Add 3 tbsp of butter, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper to the onions and garlic.
6. Add rice to onion mixture and toast for 2 to 3 minutes. mix to coat in oil and spread evenly in the pan. once it starts crackling, continue stirring.
7. Add wine to rice and onions. continue stirring until wine is mostly absorbed.
8. Add diced tomatoes to the mixture and continue stirring. cook down until tomatoes become soft and tender and liquid dries up.
9. Add 2 cups of tomato stock to rice mixture and continue stirring, until there’s no more loose liquid when you stir. continue adding until no more stock is left.
10. Turn the heat off and add 3 tbsp. of butter. add parmesan and pecorino romano cheese and mix until melted.
11. Transfer to serving bowl and top with chopped basil and shredded parmesan.