1. It is necessary to remove any bacteria and raw smell from the fish.
2. Rinse the fish very well in water.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of flour and salt on the fish and coat all sides.
4. Wash well under running water.
5. Cut the fish fillet into smaller pieces.
6. Marinade fish with 1 tsp red chilli pepper, salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. let it marinate for 5-10 mins.
For cooking the fish
1. In a mixing bowl, add white plain flour, corn starch, white pepper powder, salt and a pinch of baking soda.
2. Stir and mix the dry ingredients together.
3. Add water in small quantities (in total approx 1/2 cup). the batter should be of a thick consistency with no lumps.
4. You can try a dipping test, where you dip a finger in batter, remove and check if your finger is coated on all sides and the batter isn't too runny or watery.
Deep fry the fish pieces
1. Heat oil in a pre heated pan, enough to deep fry the fish pieces.
2. Dip the marinated fish pieces in the batter and deep fry them for 2-3 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
3. Remove to a paper towel and drain excess oil.
Prepare sauce in a separate pan
1. Add oil to a pre-heated pan over medium-high heat. add finely chopped garlic and minced ginger. saute for couple minutes to remove the raw smell.
2. Add red chilli paste, soy sauce and tomato ketchup. stir and saute.
3. Add little water to form the chilli sauce. check if salt is needed and season as per taste. simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Pour the sauce over deep fried fish pieces and serve hot alongside rice.
5. Enjoy crispy chilli garlic deep fried goodness! served best alongside fried rice.