For aloo tuk
1. Peel the raw potatoes and wash it with fresh water, further cut the potatoes in half, if the potatoes are big in size choose to cut them in quarters.
2. Wash the potatoes and soak it in fresh water for 5-10 minutes, also add a pinch of salt in water.
3. Once soaked, strain and wash the potatoes thoroughly with fresh water and pat dry it with either tissue roll or dry cotton cloth to dry out the potatoes.
4. Set oil for frying in wok, add a pinch of salt, further deep fry the potatoes for 2 minutes in hot oil so the potatoes forms a crust.
5. Further lower the flame on medium low heat and continue to deep fry for 8-10 minutes. fry the potatoes until they are almost cooked, to have cross check just insert a tooth pick and if it feels like it’s done take it out or else just let it fry for few more minutes. the colour by then it’ll turn to light golden brown.
6. Take the potatoes out on an absorbent sheet and allow it to cool down a bit, take a bowl and smash it with light hands so the potatoes should hold itself and not disintegrate fry frying for the second time. if you would like to smash it with your hands, allow it cool down a little bit to handle.
7. Once all the potatoes are mashed, heat the oil on high temperature and flash fry the mashed potatoes until they turn crisp and golden brown.
8. Set a wok or a fry pan on medium high heat, add 1 tsp oil, turmeric powder and sauté the turmeric briefly for few seconds so the turmeric doesn’t taste raw, further add red chilli powder, cumin powder, amchur powder, coriander powder, salt & pepper to taste and finally add the crispy fried potatoes, toss it well to coat the spices. aloo tuk is ready for making the chaat.
9. Once the aloo is tossed in the spices, transfer it to a mixing bowl and break into chunks.
10. Add the chutneys, pomegranate seeds, fresh coriander leaves and ginger. mix gently and further top it with whisked curd, ginger juliennes, beetroot juliennes, some more chutneys, sprinkle some black salt, jeera powder, chaat masala and finally top it with sev. you can tweak the toppings as per your preference.
11. Serve immediately to enjoy crispy aloo tuk chaat.
1. Do not disturb the potatoes for a minute and fry them until crisp and golden brown.
2. Take it out on an absorbent paper and keep aside.