1. In a deep handi, heat mustard oil and let it smoke. sprinkle some garlic juice.
2. Add bay leaves, cloves, black cardamom, onion and saute well.
3. Add lamb, salt to taste and ginger garlic paste and roast them well.
4. In a bowl, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and curd mix well.
5. Add the curd mixture into the handi, water as required and mix well.
6. Cover and cook on low flame till the mutton is completely cooked.
For nihari masala
7. Heat a pan, add green cardamom, mace, all spices, long pepper, stone flower, black cumin seeds, dried galangal, vetiver root, cinnamon stick, black pepper and dry rose petals. dry roast till fragrant.
8. Transfer the spices in a blender and blend it to a fine powder and keep it aside.
9. In a bowl, add wheat flour, prepared nihari masala, water as required, black pepper and kewra water mix well. transfer this slurry into handi.
10. Cook till the the gravy slightly thickened.
11. Heat a pan, add ghee, nihari masala, red chilli powder and kewra water mix well strain the mixture and transfer it to handi.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves, onion chopped, lemon wedges. serve hot with khamiri roti.
This recipe serves 4 people.