1. Slice the onions, peel the ginger and garlic & chop the ginger. cut the green chillies to pieces.
2. Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan and add the sliced onions. fry on medium heat for 4 minutes till the onions are soft and translucent.
3. Add the chopped ginger and garlic and keep frying on medium heat for 1 minute.
4. Now add the cashew nuts and cut green chillies. mix and fry on low heat for another minute. remove onto a plate and allow to cool.
5. To blend, add the items to a blender/grinder and coarse grind it. now add 3 tbsp water and blend it into a smooth paste.
6. Whisk the curd/plain yogurt till smooth and then add 3 tbsp water. give a mix and set aside.
7. Dry roast the kasuri methi, set aside and crush it with your hand.
8. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and place the marinated chicken pieces side by side. fry on high heat for 2 minutes and then turn and continue to fry for 2 minutes on the other side.
9. Continue to fry on medium heat for another 2-3 minutes turning the chicken pieces till the pieces are uniformly browned.
10. Now take another pan and heat 2 tbsp oil. add the whole spices and allow it to splutter.
11. Give a stir and keeping the heat on low, add the paste blended earlier.
12. Stir and fry on low heat for 6-7 minutes till oil separates.
13. Add the fried chicken pieces, mix and fry on medium to low heat for 2-3 minutes.
14. Reduce the heat to low and add the whisked curd/yogurt (mixed with water), the garam masala powder and salt to season. stir and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes till oil separates.
15. Now add 150 ml water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for 10 minutes till chicken pieces are tender.
16. Open the lid and sprinkle the crushed pepper and kasuri methi. mix and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes till oil separates.