1. Wash and soak arhar dal for 1 hour in the water (its takes less time to cook soaked dal). grind tomatoes, green chilli and ginger in a mixer to make a paste.
We can cook arhar dal in two ways.
2. Heat ghee in a cooker and temper cumin seeds, heeng, and mustard seeds into it. let them splutter and then add curry leaves, turmeric powder, coriander leaves to it.
3. Stir the masala and immediately add tomato paste in it. let it cook for 2-3 minutes. once the tomato masala gets roasted put arhar dal, salt and red chilli powder into it and cook it for another 1-2 minutes by stirring it with the help of a ladle.
4. Add 2 cups water (400 gms) in the cooker and close it with a lid and pressure cook it for up to 1 whistle on a medium flame.
5. After the whistle, cook it for 30 minutes on a low flame. arhar dal is ready, open the cooker and garnish the dal with coriander leaves.
1. Take cooker, put arhar dal and 2 glass of water in it. add turmeric powder and salt to it. pressure cook the dal for up to 1 whistle and turn down the flame to medium and cook it for 3-4 minutes. turn off the flame and meanwhile prepare the tampered masala to add into it.
2. Take a small pan and heat ghee into it. add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, heeng and fry them until brown, followed by adding turmeric powder, coriander powder, tomato paste, red chilli powder. cook the masala till the ghee starts to float at the top. put this masala into the cooker. add salt and water according to the need. arhal dal is ready. garnish it with coriander leaves.
This recipe serves 4.