1. Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a pot with some water, add the whole spices and bring the water to a boil.
3. Add the soaked rice to the water, add salt and give it a stir. cook the rice till it's 3/4th done, strain it and keep it aside.
4. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight. pressure cook the chickpeas, strain them and keep them aside.
5. Heat some oil for shallow frying. fry the onions till they are brown and crispy. keep them aside.
6. Heat a pan with some oil, add red chili powder, salt and mix well.
7. Add the boiled and peeled potatoes and fry them. roast the potatoes till they are golden brown and keep them aside.
8. Heat a kadai with some ghee and oil. roast the whole spices. add onions and green chili and fry them till they are golden brown in color. add ginger garlic paste and saute. add tomatoes and cook them.
9. After 2 minutes, add red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala and saute well.
10. Add curd and saute the masala till oil separates .
11. Add the cooked chickpeas, and let the chickpeas cook in the masala for 5 minutes.
12. Cook the chickpeas well along with the masala.
13. Add mint leaves and coriander leaves and mix well. keep the masala aside.
14. To layer the biryani, start with the chana masala at the bottom, layer some rice on top of it. layer the rice with the roasted potatoes and fried onions.
15. Layer the potatoes with the remaining rice, add some ghee on top of it and add fried onions and mint leaves.
16. Leave it in dum for 15 minutes.
17. Serve the chana biryani hot with some raita.
This recipe serves 3 to 4 persons.