1. Heat a pressure cooker. drain and add split black gram, split bengal gram, salt, turmeric powder and 4 cups water and mix. close the cooker with the lid and cook under pressure on low heat till 4 whistles are given out.
2. Finely chop onion, tomato and ginger. roughly chop garlic.
3. Heat ghee in a non-stick pan, add onion, garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes. add asafoetida and tomatoes and continue to saute till fragrant.
4. When the pressure is completely reduced, open the lid of the cooker and lightly mash the grams.
5. Add red chilli powder and garam masala powder to the pan and mix well.
6. Add little cooked lentils to the pan and mix well. add this mixture to the grams remaining in the pressure cooker and cook till the lentils are completely soft and creamy.
7. Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot with paranthe.