1. Take a saucepan, add 1 tsp of chana dal, 1 tsp of urad dal, 1/4 tsp of peppercorns, 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp of sesame seeds, 2 tsp of coriander seeds, 5 red chili.
2. Dry roast till you get golden brown colour. keep the flame on medium.
3. Turn off the stove and mix with 1/4 tsp of asafoetida powder.
4. Let it cool and grind it to a fine powder.
5. Soak 1 ball of tamarind in 2 cups of water for an hour and mash it well with water and strain it in a glass jar to remove the pulp and clean puree.
6. Take a wide saucepan, add 3 tbsp of ginger oil. temper the ingredients - add 1 tsp of mustard seeds, 1 tsp of chana dal, 1 tsp of urad dal, a handful of peanuts, 3 red chili, 1/4 tsp of asafoetida powder, few curry leaves, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. mix well.
7. Now, pour tamarind puree into the pan. boil this on a medium flame for 10 minutes till it thickens.
8. Season it with salt, a piece of jaggery and ground masala powder.
9. Boil it on medium-low flame for 10 minutes till the oil separates.
10 .Keep on low flame for 5 minutes and turn off the stove. tamarind mix is done.
11. Mix with the cooked rice and serve it with appalam or pickle.