1. Soak the moong dal for 1 hour.
2. Cut poosanikai / ash gourd into cubes (remove seeds).
3. Heat oil in a kadai. add ingredients for tempering namely mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds and red chili.
4. Once mustard seeds starts splattering add onions, green chili and curry leaves.
5. Saute till onion turns brown color.
6. Now add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and mix well.
7. Add the pounded ginger, garlic and mix well.
8. Then add the soaked moong dal, water and cook till the poosanikai / ash gourd is cooked.
9. Finally add coriander powder for flavoring and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
10. Ash gourd curry / poosanikai kootu is ready to be served hot with rice.