1. Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a kadai. add garlic, ginger, cloves, break the bay leaves and add into the oil and mix well.
2. Add onion and sauté till translucent. add salt, mix and cook till golden brown.
3. Switch the heat off and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
4. Transfer the roasted mixture into a blender jar, add ¼ cup water and blend to a fine paste.
5. Heat remaining oil in the same kadai. add green chillies and curry leaves and mix well. add tomato, mix and sauté till soft and pulpy.
6. Add the bended paste and sauté till the oil separates.
7. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well. cook for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add boiled brown chickpeas and mix well. add salt, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
9. Add kala masala and mix well. add 2 cups water, mix and cook for 3-4 minutes. add coriander leaves, mix and transfer into serving bowls. garnish with coriander sprig.
10. Serve hot with pavs.