1. Add tomatoes, garlic, ginger, green chillies and salt to a blender. make a puree out of it. roughly chop the ginger and garlic before adding.
2. In a non-stick pressure cooker, heat some oil and add onions, sauté till they turn golden brown.
3. Add the chana dal and salt, sauté for 4-5 minutes. add turmeric powder, sauté for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Add the tomato puree and green chillies. add ¼ cup water, coriander powder and red chilli powder. cover the pressure cooker and cook till 4-5 whistles.
5. Once the whistles are done, simmer the dal for 15 minutes. add crushed coriander and mix.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.