1. Dry roast toor dal / split pigeon peas, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, dry red chillies.
2. Keep the flame on medium & dry roast till they turn light brown.
3. Turn off the stove. keep the mixture aside and let it cool down.
4. In the same pan, add oil and roast few curry leaves.
5. Once the curry leaves are crisp, turn off the flame and add it to the mixture. let it cool dowm.
6. To the mixer jar, add the dry roasted ingredients, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder / hing & grind to a fine powder.
7. Make sure the container is dry before you transfer the powder to it.
8. Fresh home-made rasam powder is now ready. store in an air-tight container and use it when making rasam.