1. Clean, wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. heat a deep bottomed pan and melt ghee, add cashew nuts, raisins and stir them. cook till they brown up a little.
2. Remove them and keep aside. in the same ghee add bayleaf, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom, star anise, and fennel seeds.
3, Stir for few seconds and then add in onions. cook the onions till they brown. at this stage you can remove a spoon of browned / fried onions to put them for garnish later.
4. Put in the ginger paste and stir again. pour water, salt and green chillies. bring the water to a boil, in the meanwhile drain the water from the rice and add them to the boiling water.
5. Add the cashewnuts and raisins back to the rice. cook the rice till the water level reduces till the level of the rice in the pan, lower the heat, cover and cook till all of the water is absorbed.
6. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes covered. remove the lid and carefully scoop out the ghee rice and serve with a curry of your choice or with plain curd.