1. In a cooker, add 1/2 cup toor dal / split pigeon peas and rinse it well. add 1.5 cups water, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste. shut the lid and pressure cook it.
2. In a clay pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil. add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and let them splutter. then add few curry leaves, three green chilies, three garlic minced, half teaspoon turmeric powder, half teaspoon red chilli powder, five shallots. saute well.
3. Add salt to taste and give it a good mix.
4. Now add the chopped snake gourd and saute this for a minute.
5. Cover the pot and cook for five minutes. after five minutes, pour the cooked dal in the pot and mix well.
6. Add half cup coconut milk to this and mix well. cover the pot again and cook for five minutes.
7. Your snake gourd dal is ready!!