1. Take the snake gourd and using a knife scrape the white skin.
2. Then cut the snake gourd into small parts and slice lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
3. Cut into small slices and transfer in a bowl.
4. Add 1 tsp of salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder and mix well. let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, wash the snake gourd in running water and keep aside.
6. Heat oil in pan and add asafoetida, whole dry red chillies, chana dal, urad dal, mix well and sauté for 1 minute.
7. Add ginger, garlic, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds. mix well and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add chopped green chilli, snake gourd. mix well.
9. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well. cover and cook for 10-12 minutes.
10. Add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
11. Remove in a serving bowl and garnish with coriander sprig. serve hot.