1. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes.
2. Wash and drain the toor dal / split pigeon peas.
3. In a pressure cooker, add the washed toor dal, turmeric powder, water and pressure cook for 7 whistles.
4. Heat 2 tsp of coconut oil in a pan, add the fenugreek seeds and saute until aromatic.
5. Add the coriander seeds, dried red chilli, curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
6. Add asafoetida, grated coconut and saute for a minute.
7. Once cool, add the sauteed mixture to a mixer grinder along with ½ cup of water and grind it into a smooth paste.
8. Extract the tamarind juice from the soaked tamarind.
9. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
10. Add the shallots, curry leaves and saute till it gets translucent.
11. Add the tomato and saute till the tomatoes are soft.
12. Add the drumstick, white pumpkin, brinjal, turmeric powder, salt, 4 cups of water, mix well, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
13. Add the cooked toor dal, ground masala paste, extracted tamarind juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
14. Remove from the heat and serve hot with steamed rice.