1. Firstly, in a pressure cooker roast ¾ cup moong dal on low flame until they turn aromatic.
2. Add 2¼ cups water and 1 tsp ghee.
3. Pressure cook for 3 whistles or until dal turns soft.
4. In a tawa take 1 cup jaggery and add ¼ cup water. stir and dissolve jaggery completely.
5. Once the jaggery melts, filter it to remove any impurities if present.
6. Add in pressure cooked moong dal and mix well.
7. Get the mixture to a boil for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is well combined.
8. Further, add 1 cup thin coconut milk and stir well.
9. Simmer for 2 minutes, make sure not to boil as coconut milk may curdle.
10. Pour the fried nuts over payasam along with ¼ tsp cardamom powder and ¼ cup thick coconut milk. turn off the flame and give a good mix.
11. Finally, enjoy moong dal payasam or paruppu payasam after your lunch.
This recipe serves 4 people.