1. For special garam masala, add all the ingredients of special garam masala in a grinding jar and grind to a fine powder. store it in an airtight container and use accordingly.
2. For making kathal, start by first greasing your hands and knife well with oil, further cut the kathal by trimming off the head and the skin and further cut in cubes.
3. Wash it thoroughly with fresh water and keep it submerged in water until used later. 4. set a wok on medium heat, add mustard oil and heat until the smoke releases. lower the flame and add bay leaves, hing / asafoetida and 1 medium size onion, cook until the onions are golden brown in colour.
5. Further add additional ½ kg onion, jackfruit that’s cut into cubes and salt to taste. mix and cook initially on medium high flame for 2-3 minutes, further low down the heat to medium heat and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, make sure to stir in intervals.
6. As the cooking process is going on, crush the garlic and ginger along with salt, in a mortar pestle, crush them coarsely, try not to make like a paste.
7. After covering and cooking for 10 minutes, and the onions have changed their colour, open the lid and add the freshly crushed ginger & garlic. mix well and increase the flame to medium high heat, cook for 1-2 minutes, further lower the heat to medium heat and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, make sure to stir in intervals.
8. After cooking for 8-10 minutes, add the special freshly ground garam masala along with it, add garlic cloves, black peppercorns, red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder, stir well.
9. Further add 250-300 ml hot water and cook on medium high flame for 7-8 minutes. low down the heat and cover and cook for 25-30 minutes on medium flame while stirring in regular intervals.
10. Add hot water as required if the masala gets too dry, stir well and cook until the masala has darkened and the oil is released.
11. Further add additional hot boiling water as required, to adjust the consistency of the gravy. 300 ml hot water is added in this recipe. let the water come to a boil, further cook for 8-10 minutes.
12. Check for the seasoning and adjust accordingly,
13. Finish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. kathal masala is ready, serve hot with roti or paratha or any indian bread your choice.
This recipe serves 4 to 5 people.