1. Apply oil and peel the skin of 250 gms kathal, then wash it thoroughly.
2. In a cooker, add the jackfruit (as it is or cut it into two halves) along with one glass of water, half teaspoon turmeric powder, salt to taste and mix this well. cook it for 2 to 3 whistles.
3. In a separate pan, heat 3 tablespoons of mustard oil (make this sabji in mustard oil as the flavour enhancers).
4. Let the mustard oil burn and only after it is hot add half teaspoon cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, half teaspoon turmeric powder, half teaspoon red chilli powder and 1 teaspoon coriander powder. keep the gas on low flame or else the masalas will burn. roast masala for a minute on low flame.
5. Add the peeled and boiled jackfruit into this masala. the jackfruit becomes so tender after boiling that it can be chopped into smaller pieces with hand.
6. Now add 2 to 3 chopped green chillies and salt to taste. stir this well. now saute this under a medium flame for the next 2 to 3 minutes but keep stirring.
7. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. after three minutes, remove the lid and the kathal will be cooked.
8. Now add half teaspoon of amchur / dry mango powder and chopped coriander leaves. mix it well and stir for a few more seconds. kathal subji is all ready to serve!!!