1. Firstly, in a large kadai heat 3 tsp oil.
2. Add in 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera, 2 dried red chillies, pinch of hing / asafoetida and few curry leaves. allow them to splutter.
3. Further add 4 cloves of chopped garlic and saute to golden.
4. Additionally add in 1 finely chopped onion and 2 slit green chillies. saute well.
5. Furthermore add in 1 finely chopped tomato and saute till it turns soft and mushy.
6. Also add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp chilli powder and salt to taste. saute for a minute.
7. Now add 1 bunch of chopped methi / fenugreek leaves. saute till the methi leaves shrink.
8. Further add 2 cups of cooked toor dal / split pigeon peas. mix well adding water if required to adjust consistency. cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Finally, serve methi dal with rice or roti.