1. Start with chopping 500 gms of cauliflower stems. the outer part of the stem is very hard and inner part is soft. chop off the outer part to get the soft inner parts.
2. Now chop the soft inner part of the stems to small pieces (either circular or long).
3. Take a pot of boiling water with 1 tsp of salt and blanch the pieces in it. blanch it for maximum 4-5 minutes. this is done to just get rid of a wierd smell of these stems and not cook it.
4. After 4-5 minutes, drain the water and add cold water to the stem pieces. by doing so the cooking process is stopped and color of the stem will also stay intact.
5. Finely chop 2 medium sized onions, 3 medium sized tomatoes, 1.5 inch ginger, slit 2 small green chillies and finely chop 8-10 garlic cloves.
6. In a cup take 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, little water and mix all the spices well.
7. Roast 1 papad on tawa or microwave and crush it too a fine powder.
8. In a pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and heat it. now add the blanched danthal and saute it on medium flame.
9. In a separate bowl, take 2 tbsp of curd and add the roasted papad powder to this and mix well. add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chilli powder, salt to taste and 1/4 tsp mustard oil as well and mix it well.
10. Add the above curd marination to the danthals once they have been well sauted and turned brownish on low flame.
11. Further, add 1/4 cup green peas and mix well. now cover the subji and cook on low flame.
12. For the tadka take a kadhai, add 3 tbsp oil and heat it. then add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 bay leaves, 1 black cardamom, 4-5 cloves and 4-5 black peppercorns.
13. Add chopped garlic and saute for 30 seconds, immediately add the chopped garlic before the garlic turns brown and saute this well.
14. Once the onions start shrinking, add ginger, green chillies, tomatoes and salt to taste. on the other hand check the danthal subji as well. stir it and cover it.
15. The tomatoes of the tadka must have turned mushy by now, we should add the spices mixed in a cup to it. mix this well. let this masala cook for sometime.
16. Now add the danthal subji to the tadka and give it a good mix. sprinkle some water in case required or if curry is needed. mix this well. cover with lid and let it cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
17. After 5 mintues, top the subji with some chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp roasted kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves and 1/4 tsp garam masla. mix this well and your danthal ki subji is ready!!!!
This recipe serves 4 persons.