1. Roast grated coconut and dry red chillies.
2. Cool them and add them to a mixer jar along with garlic cloves, roasted chana dal. grind them together to a get a powder.
3. Heat a pan with some oil, add urad dal / black gram skinned, mustard seeds, hing / asafoetida powder, and let the mustard seeds crackle.
4. Add dry red chillies,curry leaves and chopped ivy gourd pieces.
5. Add salt and roast the ivy gourd pieces till they get crispy and golden brown.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, and the ground masala powder.
7. Saute the vegetable with the masala powder for about 5 minutes.
8. In another pan, roast some peanuts with some chilli powder and salt. add it to the ivy gourd pieces
9. The roasted peanuts give a good crunch.
10. Serve the dondakaya vepudu with sambar or rasam or with mor khuzhambu.