1. To make the chettinad masala (masala paste), heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and once slightly hot, add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. give a stir and fry on low heat for 30 seconds.
2. Now add dry red chillies and black peppercorns, give a mix and fry for 30 seconds on low heat.
3. Add the grated coconut. mix & fry on low heat for 4-5 minutes till light brown in color.
4. Remove onto a plate and allow it to cool completely.
5. To make the paste, add it to a grinder / blender and first coarsely grind it to a powder. now add around 5-6 tbsp water and blend it into a smooth paste.
6. Finely chop the onions and slit the green chillies.
7. Boil and shell the boiled eggs.
8. For tomato purée, use readymade puree and if not available blend 2 medium sized red tomatoes in a blender and use that instead. there will of course be a variation in taste & color of gravy.
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok / kadhai and add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
2. Give it a stir and add the boiled & shelled eggs. fry on low heat for around 2-3 minutes till golden. take out on a plate.
3. In the same oil add the mustard seeds and when it splutters, add the cumin seeds. give a stir and add the curry leaves.
4. Give a stir and add the chopped onions. mix and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes till translucent.
5. Now add the ginger garlic paste and fry on low heat for 2 minutes.
6. Add the tomato purée, a pinch of turmeric powder and kashmiri chilli powder & salt. give a mix and fry on medium to low heat for 2-3 minutes.
7. Now add the masala paste, give a mix and fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes till oil separates.
8. Add 250 ml water and simmer for around 2 minutes till oil separates.
9. Add the fried eggs, give a stir. cover & cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
10. Remove lid & serve hot.