1. Take 1/2 cup of toor dal / split pigeon peas and wash it. add enough water to pressure cook the dal.
2. Add the washed dal, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. pressure cook the dal for 4-5 whistles on medium flame. keep the dal aside.
3. Next, for the sambar powder, heat a pan. add 1 tbsp chana dal / bengal gram, 1 tbsp urad dal / black gram skinned and roast them.
4. Next, add 2 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp peppercorns and roast them along.
5. Further, add 10 red chillies and roast them. dry roast the ingredients till the ingredients turn golden in colour.
6. Add 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut, you can also add fresh grated coconut. roast it and keep it aside to cool.
7. Transfer the ingredients to a mixer jar. grind it to a fine powder and keep it aside.
8. Heat a kadai with some oil, add 1 tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and let it splutter.
9. Add 2 red chilies, 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida powder, a few curry leaves and roast them.
10. Add 20 shallots and saute.
11. Next, add 2 large tomatoes and saute them.
12. Add 6-7 brinjals, 1 drumstick and saute.
13. Add 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and mix well.
14. Add 1 cup of diluted tamarind puree. also, add 1 cup of water and let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
15. Once the tamarind puree is thickened, add the cooked dal along with 2 cups of water and mix well.
16. Add 2 tbsp of ground sambar powder and bring it to a boil. let it boil for 5 minutes.
17. Finally add coriander leaves and turn off the stove and serve it.