1. Heat a sauce-pan and pour a little oil in it.
2. Add the ingredients for tempering, i.e. mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and two red chillies.
3. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the finely chopped onions, green chilli and garlic. sauté them for some time.
4. Then add a few curry leaves and stir the ingredients.
5. Once the onions turn transparent, add the finely chopped carrots and mix the ingredients together.
6. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt to the pan. stir the ingredients together so that the spices can blend well.
7. Now, close the pan with a lid and let it cook for about 10 minutes on a medium low flame.
8. Finally, add a handful of fresh grated coconut on top and mix it gently.
9. Turn off the stove. your carrot poriyal is ready to be served!