1. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add 1.5 tsp coriander seeds, 3 dry red chillies, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp toor dal / split pigeon peas. saute for a minute on low flame.
2. Add 5 tbsp of grated coconut and saute for 30 seconds. let the mixture cool down and grind it to paste and keep aside.
3. In a cooker add 1 tbsp oil and heat it. further, add 3 crushed garlic pods, asafoetida, 1 onion, curry leaves and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add 2 tomatoes and saute well.
5. Now add 200 gms of chopped cabbage, 1/2 cup chana dal (soaked for 30 minutes), salt to taste, turmeric powder and saute well.
6. Add the grounded paste, 1/4 tsp garam masala and mix well.
7. Add 300 ml water (or as required). add coriander leaves and keep stirring.
8. Cook for 3 whistles on medium flame. cabbage curry will be ready once done.