1. Soak 1/2 cup of small grained rice in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
2. Boil 1.5 litres of milk in a pan.
3. In another heavy bottom pan, heat 1 tsp of ghee. add the rice and roast it for a few minutes, stiring it continuously.
4. Now add the boiled milk and let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is completely cooked.
5. Once done, keep it aside to cool a bit.
6. To make the caramel, in another pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee and add 1/2 cup sugar (or according to preference)
7. Keep stiring it continuously until you see a dark brown sticky liquid. now add 1/4 cup warm water. (cover immediately for a few seconds to avoid splashing hot liquid).
8. Stir continuously until the water and caramel are mixed evenly.
9. Add the caramel to the kheer along with 2 tsp cardamom powder and 2 tbsp each of toasted almonds, cashews and raisins. mix well.
10. Keep the pan on heat again and cook for another 3-4 minutes until you see a golden brown colour!
Tadaaa!!! hot, warm or chilled caramel payasam is ready to win hearts!