1. To make birista, slice 3 medium onions and fry until golden brown. once the birista cools, lightly crush it with your hand.
2. Marinate the chicken with curd, ginger-garlic paste, birista (fried onion) and salt. set aside for an hour.
3. For the paste, dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and the red chillies for a 2-3 minutes. let it cool. now add all these, quartered onion, turmeric powder in a grinder and blend until smooth.
4. Heat oil in a kadhai. add the ground masala paste & fry on medium to low heat for 10 minutes till the raw smell is gone & oil separates. make sure the colour of the paste isn’t dark or the colour of the gravy will change.
5. Add the marinated chicken, mix well & cook on high flame for around 5 minutes. continue to cook on medium flame for another 10 minutes till the chicken & the masala starts changing colour.
6. Add the kashmiri chilli powder, mix it well & cook for around 15 minutes.
7. Add the garam masala powder & simmer for another 5 minutes till oil separates & all the masalas are cooked well.
8. Add a cup & half of water, mix it well & cook covered for 15 minutes till the chicken is tender. serve hot with roti or rice.