1. Grind together 1 medium onion, 1/2 inch ginger, 20 garlic pods, 3 green chillies and set aside.
2. Marinate 750 gms chicken with the above ground paste, 2 tbsp yogurt, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp pepper powder. set it aside to marinate for atleast 2 hours.
3. Fry 3 medium sized sliced onions and blend it to a paste.
4. Heat 5 tbsp oil, add the dry and whole spices namely 2 dried red chillies, 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom, 3 green cardamom, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon and fry for a minute.
5. Add 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste and the powdered spices namely 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, salt to taste and fry for 30 seconds. add the fried onion paste, mix well with the powdered spices for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the marinated chicken, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Remove cover, stir well, add 1 hot cup of tea, stir again. cover and cook again for 10 minutes on low to medium flame.
8. Remove cover, stir well and add 1 tsp garam masala powder and mix well. stir and cook until gravy thickens up, starts looking dark brown and releases oil.