1. Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan.
2. Add the tempering ingredients namely 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram, 1 tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp asafoetida / hing.
3. When mustard seeds starts crackling, add 2 chopped onions, 2 slit green chillis, few curry leaves and saute it.
4. Once the onions turns transparent add salt to taste, 2 finely grated beetroot and mix well. close and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add 4 cloves of pound garlic (optional) and mix well. close the lid again and let the beetroot cook completely.
6. Garnish it with 2 tsp grated coconut (optional). serve it with rice or chapati.