1. Wash and soak 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup split green gram / moong dal for 20 minutes. drain and keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds. once jeera / cumin seeds are brown, add the soaked dal and rice.
3. Saute it for 2-3 minutes. then add 1 tsp turmeric / haldi powder, 1 chopped tomato, 1/2 cup green peas and salt to taste.
4. Also add 2.5 cups water and pressure cook for a whistle.
5. Heat 1-2 tbsp ghee in a small pan.
6. Add 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds, 3 tsp chopped garlic. when garlic starts turning brown add 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida. add this tempering to the khichdi.
7. Serve hot with kadhi , chutney or any accompaniments of your choice.