1. In a pan, dry roast all the ingredients from the spice mix list namely 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, a pinch of ajwain / carom seeds, 1/2 tsp raw rice, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi seeds, 1/2 inch cinnamon, 1/4 tsp poppy seeds, 1 green cardamom, 2 petals of star anise, 1 petal of mace, 2 cloves, 7 black peppercorns, a pinch of nutmeg, 4 dried kashmiri red chillies. transfer in a blender and blend to a fine powder and keep this aside.
2. In the same pan heat 2 tbsp oil. then add 1/4 inch ginger, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut and fry this till the coconut is brown.
4. Add this onion-coconut mixture to the roasted spice along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and some water. grind this to a fine paste. keep this aside.
5. To make the kodi, heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. add 1 small sliced onion and saute this for a while.
6. Now add the 12 dry prawns soaked for 30 minutes and fry this for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the ground paste and saute for another 5 minutes. add a little water to the blender to wash off any stuck kodi paste, add this water to the pan and mix well.
8. Now add salt to taste, 1 small diced raw mango and 1 cup coconut milk and mix well. cover and cook the kodi for 8-10 minutes. you can add more or less water to achieve a desired consistency.
9. Serve hot with rice.