1. Marinate 500 gms chicken cut into curry cut pieces with 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt. let it rest for at least 20 minutes. meanwhile, we can prepare the masala.
2. Heat 3 tbsp oil and add 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 3 dried red chillies on medium-low flame. after 30 seconds, add all the spices namely 10 cloves, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 cm nutmeg, 1/2 piece of star anise, 1/4 piece of mace. cook until the spices are fragrant.
3. Then add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 2 tsp poppy seeds, 1 cup sliced onion and 1.5 cups grated coconut. cook until the onion and coconut start to brown. grind it into a smooth paste with water and set aside.
4. In a pan, add 3 tbsp oil, 2 cups chopped onions and saute until they turn golden brown. then add 1.5 cups tomatoes and cook until they are soft.
5. Add the marinated chicken and saute for 2 minutes. add 1 cup of water and cook covered for 10 minutes.
6. Then add the ground masala paste and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Finally, stir in 1/2 cup coconut milk. when it comes to a boil, immediately turn off the heat.