1. Soak 1.5 cups california almonds in water overnight. next day, peel them and keep aside.
2. Put the peeled california almonds in an electric chopper and chop to a coarse mixture.
3. Heat 1/2 cup ghee in a non-stick pan. add 1/3 cup sooji / rava / semolina and roast till light golden and fragrant.
4. Add the almond mixture and mix well. roast till the mixture turns light golden and fragrant.
5. Add 1 cup water and mix well. add a large pinch of saffron and mix.
4. Add 1 cup milk, mix and cook till the mixture thickens. add ½ cup water, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add 1.25 cups castor sugar, mix and cook till the sugar melts and the mixture thickens. stirring occasionally.
6. Drizzle 2 tbsp ghee on the sides of the pan, mix and take the pan off the heat.
7. Transfer the badam ka halwa in a serving bowl. serve hot garnished with slivered california almonds.