1. Marinate 200 gms chicken pieces with 5 tsp curd / yogurt, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp mustard seeds and any cooking oil for atleast 1-2 hours.
2. Soak 1/4 cup poppy seeds in water for 4 hours.
3. Dry roast 1/4 cup white sesame seeds / til and 3 tsp peanuts for 2-3 minutes in a hot pan. allow it cool down.
4. In a mixture grinder, add the soaked poppy seeds along with dry roasted sesame seeds, roasted peanuts, 2 green chillies, make a smooth paste by adding 1/4 cup of water.
5. Heat 4 tsp mustard oil in a pan, add 2 bay leaves, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom, 5 peppercorns, fry it for 1 minute.
6. Add 2 sliced onions and fry it for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add 1/2 tsp ginger paste and 1/2 tsp garlic paste, cook it for another 3 minutes. you can even use grated ginger and garlic.
8. Add the marinated chicken pieces along with the marinade.
9. Add 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and cook it on a medium flame for about 7-8 minutes or until oil starts to come out from sides of the pan.
10. Add the sesame poppy seeds paste and again cook it for 4-5 minutes.
11. Add salt as per taste, 1 to 1.5 cup of hot water for the gravy, 2 slit green chilies. cover the pan and allow the chicken to cook on a low flame for 10-12 minutes or until it is completely cooked. stir occasionally in between.
12. Lastly add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, mix it well, switch off the flame and allow it to rest for 2-3 minutes and its ready to be served.
1. I have used mustard oil in this dish, you can use any cooking oil of your choice.
2. After dry roasting the peanuts, make sure to remove its skin before making the paste.
3. Adjust the quantity of red chili powder & green chilies as per your taste.