1. Firstly, in a thick bottomed pan add 1 litre (4 cups) full cream milk. stir occasionally and get it to a boil.
2. Additionally, turn off the flame add 2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice and stir well.
3. Add more vinegar or lemon juice and stir till milk curdles completely. immediately drain the curdled milk into a handkerchief.
4. Pour a cup of water and clean the chenna / paneer as it has vinegar in it.
5. Furthermore, bring it together and squeeze off excess water. hang for 30 minutes or till all the water drains off completely.
6. After 30 minutes, start to knead the paneer for 8 minutes.
7. Additionally add 1 tbsp maida to make balls slightly firm unlike rasgulla.
8. Knead paneer till it turns out smooth without any grains of milk.
9. Furthermore, make small oval balls of paneer and keep aside.
For sugar syrup
10. In a deep vessel take 1.5 cups of sugar.
11. Furthermore, add 8 glasses of water and stir well. boil the syrup for 10 minutes on medium flame.
12. Also add 2 pods of green cardamom for more flavour.
13. After that, drop the prepared paneer balls into boiling sugar syrup.
14. Cover and boil for 15 minutes. the paneer balls will have doubled in size. keep aside till it cools completely.
15. In a large non stick vessel heat 1 tsp ghee, add 1/4 cup milk.
16. Further add 2 tbsp cream and 1/2 cup milk powder. mix well stirring continuosly keeping the flame on low to medium.
17. The mixture starts to thicken. now add 2 tbsp saffron milk. to prepare saffron milk, soak few threads of saffron in 2 tbsp of warm milk for 15 minutes.
18. Additionally, add 1 tbsp powdered sugar. stir continuously till the mixture thickens and also starts to separate from pan. mix till the mixture forms a lump.
19. Finally, stuffing is ready, cool completely.
For chumchum preparation
20. Take cooked paneer balls leaving behind the water.
21. Slit in between and stuff sweetened khoya / stuffing.
22. Further, roll them in desiccated coconut. garnish with tutti frutti or dry fruits of your choice.
23. Finally, serve chum chum immediately or store in refrigerator.
For making chenna, you can use either vinegar or lemon juice.